The word cipanas derives from the Sundanese language; ci or cai means water, and panas is hot in Indonesian. These words have become the name of a village, which is Cipanas Village because this place has hot springs that contain sulfur.
Cipanas Presidential Palace was initially a building erected in 1740 by a private owner, a Dutch landlord named Van Heots. However, during the administration of the Dutch-Indies, exactly when Governor General G.W. Baron van Imhoff began his term (1743), because of the interest in hot springs, a health building was constructed near this hot spring. Then, because of the charismatic mountain air that was cool and the clean and fresh nature, this building was made into a resort for the Dutch Governor Generals.
Since its construction during the Dutch reign, Cipanas Presidential Palace has functioned as a resort and stopover. However so, around the beautiful nature that attracted guests, until the term of van Imhoff, this stopover/resort switched functions. Because of the power of the hot springs that contained sulfur and because of the cold and clean mountain air, this place was once changed to a treatment building for the Company military members who required treatment.
Commissioner-General Leonard Pietr Josef du Bus de Gisignies, for example, was noted as the one who enjoyed bathing in these sulfur hot springs the most. This was the same with Carel Sirardus Willem Graaf van Hogendorp, his secretary (1820-1841). In addition, Herman Willem Daendeles (1808-1811) and Thomas Stanford Raffles (1811-1816) during their terms placed hundreds of people here; most of them worked in the apple plantation and botanical gardens as well as at the rice mill, apart from taking care of the cows, sheep, and horses.
Physically, since it was built until today, the history of Cipanas Palace has changed many times. Gradually, from year to year, there were additions made to this palace. Starting from 1916, during the rule of the Dutch-Indies, three buildings stood in this palace complex. Now, these three buildings are known as Yudhistira Pavilion, Bima Pavilion, and Arjuna Pavilion.
Nine years later, exactly in 1954 during the term of the 1st president of the Republic of Indonesia, Soekarno, a small building was erected located behind the Main Building. Different from the other buildings, the outer walls and the front and side of this building are adorned with stone shaped bumps. By taking the form of the wall and court decorations, the name of this building sounds unique, which is Bumpy Building. (Bentol derives from Sundanese; it is also bentol in Indonesian, similar to a mosquito bite).
Twenty nine years later, exactly in 1983, during the term of the 2nd President of the Republic of Indonesia, Soeharto, two more pavilions were erected, which were Nakula Pavilion and Sadewa Pavilion.
Cipanas Presidential Palace was also used as the family residence of several Dutch Governor General families. Those who have stayed here include the families of Andrias Cornelis de Graaf (he served from 1926 -1931), Bonifacius Cornelius de Jonge (1931), and lastly, the one who arrived during the Japanese occupation (1942), who was Tjarda van Starkenborg Stachourwer.
After the Indonesian independence, the building was officially appointed as one of the Presidential Palaces of the Republic of Indonesia and its function continued to be used as a resort for the President or Vice President of the Republic of Indonesia and their families.
This Cipanas Presidential Palace also recorded an important event in the history of the bow line of the Indonesian economy, which occurred on 13 December 1965, Main Building Dining Room. It was used as the place where the cabinet convened in order to determine the changes in the value of Rp. 1.000,00 to Rp. 1,00, exactly during the term of President Soekarno and when the Minister of Finance was Frans Seda.
According to the function of Cipanas Presidential Palace, it is not used to receive guests. However, in 1971, Queen Yuliana also took time to stop over at this palace when she visited Indonesia.
(Republic of Indonesia Presidential Palace, Republic of Indonesia Presidential Secretariat,)