A problem that often surfaced for the Company government was the habits of the Chinese people related to their culture, which highly respected their ancestral spirits to the point that funeral ceremonies were held exceeding the limits of their ability. This can be seen in the large tomb with concrete and nice roofing. As stock for the tomb, there was jewellery, clothing, and others.
Chinese villages were always surrounded by the cemetery of their ancestors. Therefore, if there was an attempt to extend the village, there were always problems. One of their traditions was building a tomb on a hill, which meant that the surrounding soil had to be dug to build this hill. This caused problems because the former lands had holes and would flood during the monsoon season. Because of this, it became a place for mosquito breeding. These conditions caught the attention of Governor General JP Coen, who ordered for the Chinese cemeteries to be built outside the city in Mangga Dua (Jl. Pangeran Jayakarta). The first Chinese Captain was named Bencon and he was buried here.
The Chinese themselves have bought several pieces of land to build cemeteries such as the one on the west and east of Kali Besar (1696) and land in Kemayoran (1745). Even Governor General Jacob Mossel gave a plantation owned by Pieter van Horrn to be made into a cemetery. Ever since then, this area has been known as Sienthiong (New Cemetery).