Cikini, Kebun Binatang
The zoo that used to be the association of flora and fauna lovers in Jakarta. During the reign of the Dutch East Indies it was called Vereneging Planten en Dierentuin et Batavia. The Society of Flora and Fauna Lovers was initiated in September 1864. The space provided was hectares in Cikini, now the Cultural and Arts Center of Taman Ismail Marzuki Arts. From Cikini, this zoo was moved to the area of Ragunan, Pasar Minggu.
According to Mr. Jan, the Zoo director and Galataun, his secretary (The First Director of Ragunan Zoo), in the year I950's Cikini Zoo had 30 employees and 100 birds species. The species was comprised, among others of bulls, birds, crocodiles, spotted deer, barking deer, honey bears, mantle and Java monkeys, etc. The cages were simple, some were opened and the others were closed. The zoo was open from 7:00 AM to 18:00 pm and the ticket was Rp. 75 for children and Rp. 150 for adults.
In 1963, President Soekarno planned to make this zoo a mandatory planetarium project. In 1964, Cikini Zoo was moved to a plot of land in the village of Ragunan which was originally to be used to build Taman Bhineka Tunggal Ika (national unity park). On 22 June, 1966, when Jakarta celebrated its 439th Anniversary, the place was inaugurated by Governor Ali Sadikin as Ragunan Marga Satwa Park of Jakarta